NBDA 7-8-9th Gr Auditions
7th, 8th, & 9th Graders in the Union HS Band are eligible and encouraged to audition for the NBDA All-District Honor Band. We are proud to represent well in this annual process.
• The Remind Code for 7th Graders is @union7nbda. We will send information throughout the day as needed.
• The Remind Code for 8th Graders is @union8aud. We will send information throughout the day as needed.
• The Remind Code for 9th Graders is @union9aud. We will send information throughout the day as needed.
A $10 entry fee applies for this event, but it is not meant to be paid at the event. The fee will been charged to your student's CHARMS account in the near future.
Audition Schedule & Location
The audition process itself is relatively short in time, however because of the nature of a randomized, blind audition (meaning the judges cannot see the students), the audition process takes up the majority of the day. The schedule below is more of a loose schedule of events for the day that the students will complete based on what time their audition has been randomly scheduled to take place.
• Saturday, January 26, 2020
• Union High School
• 9:00a Full meeting of all Union 7th grade students with directors
• 9:30a Check in at audition room, receive audition time, find out audition cuts
• 30 Minutes Before Audition Time Individual warm-up, double-check audition cuts
• After audition Student is released to go home
• Take your music and pencil and go locate your audition room. There will be signs to help you find your way. Once you arrive at your room, mark the cuts in your music that are posted on the walls (you will only play portions of each etude).
• If you require an early audition time please discuss this with the room monitor to be rescheduled. If you are an early number, go warm-up in the Gym immediately. If you are a later number, you can practice a little (don’t overdo it!) and keep checking in at your room to see what number they are on. Please realize that some people won’t show, so not every number will be used. Keep in contact with your room monitor to see the progress of the numbers. Warm-up when your number is close and be at your room ready to play by the time there are 2 people ahead of you. DO NOT MISS YOUR AUDITION!
• You should not talk in the audition room. If you have questions, an inside room monitor will help you.
• Play your best!
• After you are done auditioning, you may call your parents to pick you up.
• The duration of time spent onsite at the audition is entirely dependent on when your audition. You could be done by 9:05am, or by 3:00pm. Be flexible. Some instrument rooms may employ a prelims/finals format; room monitors from the prelims rooms will give finalists a pass to the finals room.
Auditions Hints, Rules, & Reminders
• Remember to bring your book, instrument, and supplies.
• It's smart to dress a bit nicer than you normally dress for school. Though judges will not see you, dressing up a bit will put you in a stronger frame of mind for performing your audition. Don't overdress to the point where you're uncomortable. School dress code always applies.
• Warm-up area is in the gym for wind players, and in BR1 for percussionists. Do not play in the halls or restrooms.
• Keep conversations in the hallways quiet so you do not disrupt auditions.
• Percussionists: Don’t forget to bring mallets and sticks.
• This is an all day event, but you may choose to leave with your parents after you audition.
• A concession stand will be available in the commons area throughout the day. Be certain to bring extra $ if you wish to make purchases. Please clean up after yourself!
• You might want to consider bringing a cell phone, iPod, book to read, etc. to help pass the time before/after your audition. You are personally responsible for any belongings that you might choose to bring.
• Remember, you are representing the Union Band Program and Union Public Schools. Your best behavior is both expected and required!
• GOOD LUCK!
Audition Preparation Tips
• Don't wait until the last minute to practice; you have over six months to prepare, so take your time and prepare thoroughly!
• Don't forget to work on all those scales.
• Employ the use of a Private Lesson teacher to help you prepare.
• Use a metronome!
Honor Band Clinic/Concert
February 21-22, 2020 at Union H.S., for those students who are selected by audition to perform in the NBDA All-District Honor Band. more info
• 7th Grade Etudes
• 8th-9th Grade Etudes
• 7th Grade Flute Scales
• 7th Grade Oboe Scales
• 7th Grade Clarinet Scales
• 7th Grade Bass Clarinet Scales
• 7th Grade Alto Saxophone Scales
• 7th Grade Tenor Saxophone Scales
• 7th Grade Bassoon Scales
• 7th Grade Trumpet Scales
• 7th Grade French Horn Scales
• 7th Grade T.C. Euphonium Scales
• 7th Grade Trombone & B.C. Euphonium Scales
• 7th Grade Tuba Scales
• 8th-9th Grade Scales (Packet for All Instruments)
See a Band Director for the etudes or the method books as needed, as well as sight reading prep materials.