Spring 2020 Activities
Due to Covid-19 Health Concerns, school has been moved to online learning for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. More district information can be found here.
The band staff wants you to know how much we miss you all. Nothing will take place of our time together; making friends, memories, and music. However, we have come way too far not to keep pushing ourselves at this point. Please keep mastering your instrument and getting ready to hit the ground running when we do all get back together again.
The following assignments are voluntary enrichment activities for you to consider working through during these next 5-6 weeks. We hope they help you stay engaged, learn, and enhance your current music education. Some activities will be research based, some will be reflective, perhaps analalytical in nature, etc. No student's grade will be lowered these last few weeks of school. While some of you may not need to participate to bring up your grade, we'd still love for you to participate and share your thoughts and work.
We will have a new project/activity each week. We would like to have one playing activity and one non-playing activity each week. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out for help or clarification. The best way to reach Mrs. Lollis and me will be via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or you can contact us through the Remind app. Our official office hours are M-F from 9AM-11AM.
Week 1 - April 6-10, 2020
* As a follow-up to our March Madness assignment, please submit your answer to the following questions on this google form.
* Please log in to your MusicFirst account and complete and submit at least one SightReading Generator. You can choose your paramters such as key, time signature, level of difficulty, etc.
Week 2 - April 13-17, 2020
* Mrs. Lollis and I would like to get to know each of you a little better. In order to do this, we have a created an assignment that has you considering building a soundtrack to your life. In order to complete the assignment, please go to this google form and complete the tasks. We are looking forwarding to your responses and effort. We hope you'll enjoy this activity.
* Your playing activity for this week is to submit a playing assignment through your MusicFirst account. On this playing assignment, we'd like for you to log in to MusicFirst, click on the assignment "Player's Choice #1 April 13," browse through the available resources, pick something you'd like to record, and turn it in. We'd suggest something from the Yellow Habits Book, the Blue Standard of Excellence Level 2 Method, one of the solos from the Standard of Excellence Festival Solos Books, or perhaps something fun you find somewhere else in the available resources. The point of the assignment is for you to explore everything available to practice with in your MusicFirst/PracticeFirst accounts. Have fun browsing and we look forward to hearing you perform something you found exciting.
Week 3 - April 20-24, 2020
* This week's fun band activity has you listening and planning to create and promote an exciting band concert program. Please go to the following Google form for instructions and to submit your work: click here
* For all of you that have your instruments at home to play, we haved added a task in MusicFirst called "My Solo." Please go through the MusicFirst resources, including the Standard of Excellence Festival Solos books (there are three levels) to pick a solo and begin working on it. When you are ready to submit it, please use the "My Solo" task to do it. In addition, we'd love to invite you to submit your video recorded performance to a set of adjuducators. These judges will evaluate your solo performance just like you would have gotten this Friday if school were still in session. They will send you their evaluation along with a certificate of participation. This would be a great souvenir to keep as a reminder of this difficult time you will reflect on many years into the future. Click here for the rules and submission instructions.
* Lastly this week, please submit your performance of the Alma Mater using the "Alma Mater" task in MusicFirst. Some of you may have already done this, but if you haven't please get that done this week as well.
Week 4 - April 27- May 1, 2020
- * All of this week's engagement activities will be done through MusicFirst:
- * Please submit your Alma Mater performance using the "Alma Mater" task. Percussion will use the "Percussion Player's Choice - Apr 20" since you don't play the Alma Mater.
- * Please submit your solo performance using the "My Solo" task. This must be a solo, not just an etude from a method book.
- * Please choose an etude of your choice to submit using the "Player's Choice - Apr 27" task.
- * Please participate in a discussion about a video specific to your instrument. There are several videos to choose from, then creat a public post following the directions given. This task is called "Video Discussion - Instruments."
- * Please participate in a discussion that involves watching two videos and exploring body movement when performing. Instructions are in the task assignment called "Video Discussion - Body Movement."
Week 5 - May 4 - 8, 2020
- *"Players Choice - May 4th" task in MusicFirst
- *Make sure to submit your solo and Alma Mater using the appropriate tasks in Music First
- *Non-Playing Activity in honor of May the 4th be with you and Cinco de Mayo:
* Please note all assignments past or current must be completed by Friday, May 8th, 2020. We appreciate your flexibility and participation during this distant learning experience.