University of Arkansas
Jr. High Band Camp: July 8-13, 2018
Sr. High Band Camp: July 15-20, 2018
Jazz Camp: June 10-15
Extra Info / Tips
(1) The U67 Band Hall open on Thursday (July 6th) from 10am-2pm for any of your students who may want to come in and get help on their audition music, or simply want a place to practice.
(2) A Union district bus is provided to take the students TO Fayetteville this Sunday. Mrs. Lollis and Ms. French will be riding the bus and chaperoning the students for the day. They will help them get checked into their dorms and situated at their various audition sites for the afternoon. If you would like to caravan with the bus so that you can also see where your child will be living for the week, you are more than welcome to do so. A bus will not be available to bring students home after camp.
(3) A reminder (mostly for the students) about electronics for this trip: the camp does not permit students to bring laptops or televisions. It's permissible to bring a handheld electronic such as an iPad or Nintendo DS, but students are entirely responsible for these items during camp. We suggestion bringing only a mobile phone. Students will have PLENTY to keep them busy throughout the week between classes, rehearsals, planned social events, meals, etc. If they still “need” to bring something else, it should be left it in the dorm room, because any free time will most likely be spent in the dorms.
(4) Please-please-please make sure that each student's instrument case is clearly labeled! With over 750 students at camp, the number of instruments that get lost or picked up by the wrong person in a single day is incredible!
(5) Students are allowed to bring snacks to keep in the dorm room, or packed in their bag for the day. There will be more-than-ample opportunity for students to eat! It seems that we eat all of the time at this camp, but snacks, a few bottles of water, etc. would be a good thing for them to have in their dorms just in case they get hungry or thirsty. Vending machines are located all over the campus, as well as a few convenience stores, should the need arise.
(6) There is very little need for students to bring much cash to camp, but it is a good idea for them to have a small amount. Students will not be traveling off campus, all meals are provided (except for lunch on Sunday), and all social events in the evenings are free of charge to the students. Surprisingly, the most common situation students seem to need cash for is to purchase a phone charger due to having left theirs at home—so don’t forget to pack a charger!
(7) It is very easy to go a little crazy with the treats that are available in the cafeterias (ice cream machines, unlimited cookies, soda fountains, etc)…so make smart choices! There is nothing worse than having an upset stomach due to over consumption and/or dehydration while having to trek around campus with an instrument, in the sun, up and down some hills. This camp requires quite a bit of walking throughout the week. DRINK WATER! EAT BREAKFAST! Over the years we've seen too many students miss out on a rehearsal or social event due to feeling ill, which generally could have been avoided by making slightly better choices in the cafeteria.
(8) The general camp schedule & recommended packing list for “Resident Campers” is here: https://communitymusicschool.uark.edu/summer-programs/summer-music-camps/
Answers to FAQs:
- Concert Attire: Union Bands concert attire will be appropriate for the camp concert.
- Students WILL need to bring pillows & bed linens. We have found over the years that most campers just like to bring a sleeping bag instead of linens (students rarely make their beds anyway & since it is a college dorm, the mattresses are Twin XL which usually means having to purchase new sheets).
- Friday’s concert times will not be solidified until band rosters are finalized following auditions. Ensemble placements will be posted by dinner time on Sunday, after which students can call home with which band he/she will be performing in. The concert will be organized from bands #10 through 1, with the first 5 groups performing before lunch & the remaining 5 after lunch. The concert will be held at Fayetteville HS Performing Arts Center, on the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and Stadium Dr. The venue is easy to find, and parking is TERRIBLE close to the auditorium, however plentiful parking is available with just a short walk.